Contributing to aggressive state energy savings goals, the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) Multifamily Performance Program (Program) provides $20M annually in incentives for energy efficiency efforts across existing and new construction multifamily buildings. Since 2007, TRC has been responsible for comprehensive Program design and implementation services, earning acclaim for the Program from ACEEE, ENERGY STAR and the Environmental Business Journal.
TRC has helped the multi-faceted Program support:
- Benchmarking: Building owners worked with TRC-qualified technical partners to benchmark their building’s energy performance and receive a basic walk-through audit.
- Existing Buildings – Prescriptive: Measure-level incentive program that provides incentives to owners who are not yet ready to invest in whole-building programs.
- Existing Buildings - Comprehensive: Whole-building program that focuses on reducing energy use across existing multi-family buildings by more than 25%.
- Existing Buildings – Comprehensive for Small Buildings: Whole-building program developed to lower the cost of participation for small multifamily buildings, which historically have struggled to be able to cost-effectively participate in such programs.
- New Construction: Whole-building program that follows the national ENERGY STAR standard for high-rise multifamily buildings, which is based on a performance target of 15-20% above ASHRAE standard.
- High Performance Programs: Innovative whole-building programs for existing and new buildings that drive deep savings and utilize cutting-edge energy-saving technology.
- Financing: Low interest financing for owners of multifamily buildings that encourages installation of energy-efficient equipment.
- Multifamily Trade Allies: A mature network of TRC-qualified energy experts are trained, organized and ready to serve multifamily buildings throughout the state.
- Advanced Submetering: Owners of master-metered, market-rate multifamily buildings installed submeters allowing residents to control their own energy use with real-time data via the smart grid.
TRC collaborated with NYSERDA in designing all aspects of this innovative Program, including incentives, policies and guidelines, program databases, program outreach, marketing strategies and financing initiatives. TRC markets the program, trains technical partners, manages all transaction terms and prepares engineering/QC reviews on partners’ work.
This innovative program has provided services over the past 9 years to more than 300,000 apartments, achieving more than 280 GWh in annual electric savings and 4,000,000 MMBtu in annual fuel savings—equivalent to removing more than 400,000 tons of CO2 from the atmosphere.