A pioneer in groundbreaking scientific and engineering developments since the 1960s, TRC is a national engineering, consulting, and construction management firm that provides integrated services to the energy, environmental and infrastructure markets. TRC serves a broad range of clients in government and industry, implementing complex projects from initial concept to delivery and operation. We deliver results that enable clients to achieve success in a complex and changing world.
TRC had its origins with the Travelers Weather Research Center, an affiliate of the Travelers Insurance Company. In the late 1960s, a small group of environmental quality and waste management employees decided to strike out on their own as The Research Corporation of New England, also known as TRC.
Throughout the decades, the company has been a leader in setting industry standards and establishing innovative program models. TRC was the first company to conduct a major indoor air study as it related to outdoor air quality standards. We also developed innovative measurements standards for fugitive emissions and ventilation standards for schools and hospitals in the 1960’s; managed the monitoring program and sampled for pollutants at EPA’s Love Canal Project in the 1970s; developed the basis for many EPA air and hazardous waste regulations in the 1980s; pioneered guaranteed fixed price remediation in the 1990’s and earned an ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Award for outstanding energy efficiency program services provided to the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority in the 2000’s.
TRC’s clients depend on us to design solutions to their toughest business challenges. Our multidisciplinary project teams are experts in the following areas.
Energy - We provide comprehensive services to the energy industry including power generation and transmission, fuel pipelines, renewable resources, end-use energy management, and environmental protection.
Environmental - We help permit and develop major new construction and reconstruction projects, ensure compliance for continuing operations, and help identify and mitigate future risks.
- Electric transmission permitting, licensing, engineering design and construction management
- Energy efficiency program development, implementation and management
- Natural gas pipeline engineering, permitting and licensing
- Licensing and permitting for all types of electric generation- fossil fuel; nuclear; hydro, wind, solar, waste to energy plants, and other renewables; and innovative technologies.
Infrastructure - TRC provides engineering and construction support services to help communities and businesses plan and implement improvements necessary to support their growth.
- Air quality/Air measurement modeling, permitting and compliance, and monitoring
- Site assessments and remediation
- Cultural and natural resource management
- Ground water modeling
- Stormwater design and management
- Building sciences- indoor air pollution, hazardous materials, mold, and MRS
- Transportation and structural design
- Construction inspection services
- Land surveys
- Traffic engineering
- Security and emergency preparedness planning
- Geotechnical engineering and dam analysis
Over four decades, the TRC has evolved from a group of 30 meteorologists in Connecticut during the 1960’s to more than 2,300 employees nationwide today.
We are proud to have developed scientific and engineering methodologies that are used in the environmental business today ─ helping to balance environmental challenges with the need for economic growth.
TRC experts are currently addressing some of our nation’s most challenging issues: global climate change and energy development and management. The unparalleled strength of our diverse staff and firm commitment to solving our customers’ toughest challenges have made TRC a trusted advisor ─ providing comprehensive services and groundbreaking solutions. We not only share our clients’ goals, we take responsibility for reaching them.